Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Weekend of our Anniversary: Fun times leading up to our getaway...

Today is August 16, 2011. I wasn't allowed to use any electronic devices for the last 24hours, so now I get to go back and write about our weekend. We celebrated our First Wedding Anniversary yesterday!!!! It is unbelievable to me, that time has flown by so quickly. A year passed by. really?? 365 days kinda melted into one big moment with Jens. It's hard to think back to specifics but I'm in the process of making our first year photo album which at least captures some of the big moments we had - like finishing triathlons, races, friends, church and places we travelled to. I'm hoping to finish it soon, so that Mom can bring it back for me from the States in Sept.

So, here is a recap of our weekend.

Saturday
We started off on Saturday with a 100km bike ride through YMS to Jinshan and back. We are in mid-training for the big Ironman 70.3 on Nov 5th, so we are trying to follow a pretty strict training schedule. (Well, technically we just STARTED so it was the first day of our 10 week training plan. haha.) We need to build up our endurance and power on bike (90k) & run (21k) portions, so long rides are an absolute necessity on weekends. Luckily, it was a beautiful, slightly overcast and breezy day. Thank you God!! It was a challenging ride for me to keep up with the German Machine. But I think I've improved since last year, so there was less waiting/stopping time, and I just pushed hard through the climbs and coasted whenever I could.

We cycled through the main roads through YMS/Balaka then turned into the Sakura road (?), which is this hidden gem in the mountains where there is absolutely NO traffic. It's nicely paved single lane that twists and turns through the mountains, hidden in between the tall lucious trees and foliage. Talk about a wonderful, almost meditative quiet time cycling in the back country roads where it was just the two of us, huffing and puffing through shades of green, yellow, brown, lazy butterflys and large spider webs, tea fields, vegetable fields, quiet farm houses and an occasional stray dog staring at us in wonderment. It is my absolute favorite ride (so far) here in Taipei.

We made it to Jinshan, stopped for lunch break at 7-11, then made our way back to Taipei. Oh my legs were getting sore and knees began screaming in protest, but just gritted my teeth and pushed & pulled my way back over the mountain. On the way down to Tienmu, we got caught in a HUGE torrential downpour with crazy thunder & lightening. it went from sunny to hail-like rain in minutes. We found a bus stop w covering to wait it out. Sat with a cute little boy and his mother, who shared a gumdrop with us, then asked if we lived together. When I said, yes, I'm his wife...he scrunched up his face and laughed, and said, "but wives (lao po's) are supposed to be old and wrinkly!" it was hilarious.

After the 6+ hr bike ride, we collapsed back home and had a quiet evening dinner with Anne and Jenn Lee, who had sleptover the night before. Jenn is in town visiting after a recent life change, so we had a  "Girls Sleepover" night on Fri where we did face masks and painted our nails and watched girly movies. Yes, those nights can NEVER get old. Dinner was relaxing adn we just talked, laughed, hung out. Dad stopped by to visit for a bit and drop off the Aggressor Mt. Bike for Jens to fix. We went to bed happy and tired. 

Sunday
On Sunday, we woke up bright and early for yes - another bike ride!!! This one was a "special" ride, because Kevin had called and specifically asked to join us on our 100km ride on Sat. Despite the fact that he had started biking in Hsinchu with a "super hard core" biker friend, his avg distance was about 25km. I thoroughly refused and had to stay on the phone with him for 20min, explaining that WHILE being athletic and charming, Kevin is completely UNPREPARED to ride 100km with absolutely no training. He was confused for awhile. So finally, we agreed on a shorter Sun ride, so we could gauge his fitness level.

 On Sunday AM, Kevin arrives in his BASKETBALL GEAR. hahahaha. The fun started just there. We convinced him to put on a pair of biking shorts UNDER the bball shorts, to protect the Dam Jewels. Handed him a pair of gloves, helmet....and reminded him how to switch gears on the racing bike. Then off we went, going up towards Starbucks in YMS.

The first 10km of the ride is a hard hard steady climb w no breaks, but Kevin attacked it. He was way ahead of me...but I knew that I had to pace myself. Within 20min he was crying in PAIN. We took many breaks after that, took our time and eventually made it to Starbucks where we hungout for an hour and had some great conversations about family, life, future, struggles and hopes. Hopes like Jens can someday open his own bike shop and Kevin can make money by just looking good. =P Yep...Kevin will always be a dear friend of mine (and one of the first friends I made when I moved to Taiwan in 2004), and I'm lucky to have such a great brother in my life. He speaks with such optimism, encouragement and humor. This should be one of those friendships that do last a lifetime. Afterwards, when we FINALLY made it down the mountain, we were starving. Where else was calling our names but the Golden Arches? It was a calorically sickening delicious lunch. Kevin treated us to our first McDonalds Anniversary lunch. It was so much fun. Good times, Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment